Friday, June 25, 2010


Elvis Costello
My Aim Is True
1977


Elvis Costello’s classic 1977 debut showcases all the elements which would come to define his sound during the next decade: snarling punk rock swagger, dense hyper-literate wordplay, lighthearted cynicism and tongue-in-cheek humor. “My Aim Is True”, recorded with session players prior to the formation of The Attractions, leans heavily on the influence of 1950s Rock & Roll, Doo Wop, Soul and R&B rather than the synth-heavy New Wave sound he would experiment with on subsequent releases.

“My Aim Is True”, like many great albums, is diverse and difficult to pin down. The one constant is Costello’s endlessly hungry intellect, burning white-hot through each track. He croons tender sentiments of naïve love on “Alison” just two songs before spitting irate, anti-conformity rhetoric with “Less Than Zero”. This tendency towards dichotomy is as confusing as it is endearing.

One noticeable difference between this record and his later work is how often “My Aim Is True” finds Costello singing about romantic mishaps and quixotic teenage love. “I’m Not Angry” details the frustrations of a jealous, scorned lover. “Miracle Man” and “Mystery Dance” are hilarious accounts of unfulfilled sexual urges and the embarrassingly unsophisticated behavior of young lovers.

Also present here is the social satire for which his songs are well known. “Pay It Back” laments the loss of identity when assimilating into professional culture as he sings: “And they told me I could be somebody if I didn’t let too much get in my way/And I tried so hard just to be myself but I keep on fading away.” The excellent opening track, “Welcome To The Working Week”, takes a shot at disillusioned working stiffs with the line: “I hear you saying, ‘Hey, the city’s alright’ when you only read about it in books/Spend all your money getting so convinced that you never even bothered to look.”

Costello’s work has been categorized in many ways, most notably as a pioneering force in the development of the punk rock sound, but this is misleading. His signature vocal style was hugely influential in that regard but his songwriting and arrangements are worlds apart from most punk musicians in terms of creativity and sophistication. “My Aim Is True” is only the first in a string of brilliant records he released during the late 70s and early 80s that raised the bar for everyone else writing pop music. The front of the record says it all: Elvis is king.

Best Track: “Watching The Detectives”

No comments:

Post a Comment